[Mediawiki-l] Semantic mailing list somewhat reluctant

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed May 28 17:46:58 UTC 2008

> From: Rolf Lampa <rolf.lampa at rilnet.com>
>
> 550-Several RFCs state that you are required to
>    have a postmaster 550-mailbox for each mail domain. This host
> does not
>    accept mail 550-from domains whose servers reject the postmaster
> address.

I'd just like to point out that there are good reasons for someone to
reject the postmaster address.

Just yesterday, I logged in and was greeted by over 4,000 rejected
emails, all sent to postmaster at bytesmiths.com. One or more spammers
had just started forging that as the "From:" address in their vile
utterances, and now I was getting all their "backscatter" from spams
that failed, for whatever reason, to be delivered. They were coming in
faster than I could delete them. So I was forced to disable the
postmaster address.

I am just a tiny one-person ISP, specializing in hosting for artists
and non-profits. I don't have time to deal with this. So I'll leave it
disabled for a week or so, then cautiously turn it back on.

:::: Just a middle-aged person in a middle-aged civilization that has
used half the resources of a middle-aged planet circling a middle-aged
star in a middle-aged galaxy in a middle-aged universe. Enjoy the ride
-- it's all downhill from here! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::