[Mediawiki-l] Is there a way to control edit rights for talk pages differently from content pages?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed May 7 16:53:50 UTC 2008

On 07/05/2008, Derrick Farnell <derrick.farnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> That went above my head! Perhaps if I just added a line for each non-talk
>  namespace? That is:
>

>  $wgNamespaceProtection[NS_MAIN] = array( 'sysop' );
>
> $wgNamespaceProtection[NS_MEDIAWIKI] = array( 'sysop' );
>  $wgNamespaceProtection[NS_TEMPLATE] = array( 'sysop' );
>  $wgNamespaceProtection[NS_WIKI_TITLE] = array( 'sysop' );
>
>  etc.
>
>  plus:
>
>  $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['sysop'] = true;
>
>  ?

That will work fine.

>  Also, is there way to allow only users to be able to edit their own user
>  page, admins or not (while letting anyone edit their talk page)?

I don't believe there's any way to do that with the core code, but I
think there are extensions to allow such things. Take a look at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_Matrix for a list of
extensions, you can probably find one there (someone here may know of
one that will do what you want and can save you the trouble -
unfortunately, I can't).