[Mediawiki-l] wiki on a stick

Dan Thomas geoobject at gmail.com
Mon May 5 15:04:00 UTC 2008

Micah - I've had success running MW 1.11 on Windows XP and Vista using
XAMPP for Windows -- Apache project integrating MySql, PHP and Apache.
 See: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

The PortableApps.com site (http://portableapps.com/ ) does a nice job
of packaging/installing XAMPP.  PortableApps also provides putty and
other handy tools.  Dan

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Micah Gideon Modell
<Micah_Gideon at mac.com> wrote:
> I'd like to take my local wiki (1.12) and bring it places to show it
>  around. To do so, I reckon I need two things:
>  1) a cross-platform wiki-on-a-stick (USB) setup (Mac and Linux and, I
>  guess, Windows)
>  2) a method to synchronize changes from my internal wiki to the one I
>  carry with me and vice-versa.
>
>  The first part is probably pretty simple and just requires a bit of
>  legwork to track down all the proper binaries and a bit of scripting
>  to start and stop the various servers. However, the second part is a
>  bit daunting and I'm wondering if anyone has yet taken this on?
>  There's always the manual way of dumping the source DB, wiping the
>  target and reloading it, but does anyone have alternative suggestions?
>
>  Micah
>  --
>  http://www.csh.rit.edu/~micah
>  http://www.LiveJournal.com/users/micah_gideon
>  Learning is fun more when you don't know you're doing it.

Dan Thomas