[Mediawiki-l] PHP5 and Performance

Michael Daly michael.daly at kayakwiki.org
Fri Mar 28 19:03:11 UTC 2008

atticus at adventurevacationtrip.com wrote:

> I also cannot help feeling that these .php5 pointings are making my
> wiki slow. When I ping both my wordpress blog and wiki. Wiki almost
> always take double the time.

Unless by "ping" you mean a program called "ping.php", the ping will not
be affected by the php setting.  It will be affected by other server
setup parameters, but those would likely affect all domains on the same
server.  Is the extra time taken including or excluding the DNS lookup?

Assuming you have virtual host handling for both the blog and the wiki,
you can confirm this by copying the "AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5
.php .php4 .php3 .phtml" setting from the wiki virtual host section into
the wordpress virtual host section.  If that setting is outside of both
virtual host sections, it should affect both equally.

Mike