[Mediawiki-l] PHP5 and Performance

atticus at adventurevacationtrip.com atticus at adventurevacationtrip.com
Fri Mar 28 16:31:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

When I first installed mediawiki 1.11.0, I was prompted that I am not
using php5 and have to install via a .php5 link. So I went ahead and
added the following to .htaccess:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php .php4 .php3 .phtml

It's working fine now but all the URLs contain .php5 in them (eg
http://example.com/index.php5?title=Help:Contents). How can I have
nice URLs like mediawiki's (eg
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents).

I also cannot help feeling that these .php5 pointings are making my
wiki slow. When I ping both my wordpress blog and wiki. Wiki almost
always take double the time.

I was wondering why I had the problem with .php5 in the first place.
My host is using PHP version 5.2.5 and if it helps, Server API is CGI.
Is it possible for me to for my wiki to use normal .php instead of
.php5?

Any advice?

Regards,
Atticus