[Mediawiki-l] Pagetitle Encoding Problems (Chinese) after Move & Upgrade of MediaWiki

matsch at rockinchina.com matsch at rockinchina.com
Fri Mar 28 00:18:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

I upgraded MediaWiki and moved Servers from
OLD-Server
*MediaWiki: 1.6.8
*PHP: 4.3.10-22 (cgi-fcgi)
*MySQL: 4.1.11-Debian_4sarge7-log

NEW-Server
*MediaWiki: 1.12.0
*PHP: 5.2.4 (cgi)
*MySQL: 4.1.13

After that I have problems with non-ASCII characters in page titles -
mainly Chinese characters but also Umlauts and the like.

I exported the complete database via phpMyAdmin 2.11.0-rc1 on the old
server and imported it via mysql command line. Settings for collation
on database and tables seem to be the same. Files have been moved
completely and then upgraded to the new version.

So the problem is that pages with Chinese (and other non-ASCII
character) titles are broken. An example can be seen here:
* Old/Good:
http://web125.burns.kundenserver42.de/rockinchina/wiki/index.php?title=Badhead_3_%E8%8A%B1%E5%9B%AD%E6%9D%91_%28VA%29
* New/Broken:
http://wiki.rockinchina.com/index.php?title=Badhead_3_%C3%A8%C5%A0%C2%B1%C3%A5%E2%80%BA%C2%AD%C3%A6%3F%E2%80%98_%28VA%29

The pages show up wrong in category lists and links to these pages are
broken.

Does anyone know where the problems comes from and how I can work around
it?
Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
matsch