[Mediawiki-l] new google group: MediaWiki-Community ?

Richard zzz333mmm at BaltoCo.org
Wed Mar 26 14:30:59 UTC 2008

Simon wrote:
>  I prefer self-hosted Mailing list (for example Mailman)
>  over Google Groups. Its alway the same with online communities;
>  "the winner takes all". I personally don't subscribe to mailing
>  lists with low traffic and member numbers.
>
>  http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html
>
>  cheers
>  Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for replying.  There are a number of
issues here, the most important one being about
diversity (which can be read as MediaWiki out-
reach).  Folks here may not like Google groups,
but others are equally intimidated by MediaWiki-L
(I'm assuming).  In my life, I have run many e-
mailing lists, through Majordomo and Gnu Mailman.
Most of those lists have no archival existence
today.  Large hosts like Google make for more
reliable archiving (sustainability), if it
matters.  They are often more intuitive for
non-techies -- again, if it matters.

We should expect the MediaWiki community to
double or triple in coming years, out into
increasingly diverse cultural realms.  More
discussion modalities may become necessary.

Richard