[Mediawiki-l] searching for WYSIWYG-wikitext Editors

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sat Mar 22 06:48:03 UTC 2008

> From: Rob Rye <rye at usc.edu>
>
> Neooffice is extremely similar to OpenOffice, being explicitly based
> on OpenOffice (its developers are former OpenOffice.org developers
> who went independent to write a Mac-GUI based version of the software
> on their "spare time"). In general, Neooffice has almost identical
> functionally to OpenOffice.org though I cannot speak to whether or
> not it is able to export wikitext as I have never attempted to use
> Neooffice in this way.

I've gone Microsoft-free, and I rather like iWork as an Office work-
alike.

Keynote does a wonderful job reading PowerPoint files, and seems to me
much more intuitive. You can do more powerful stuff quicker -- and the
result doesn't look like built-in PowerPoint template. :-)

Numbers is weaker than Excel, but okay if you can do without stuff
like pivot tables. And this is Version 1.0. So I expect greater Excel
compatibility is on the horizon.

Pages goes beyond Word processing with page layout. Think of it as a
lean, mean version of Word combined with a lean, mean version of
InDesign. I'm not always happy with its .doc imports, thought, finding
SimpleText does a more faithful rendition, especially with tables.

Anyway, I'm an iWork fan. It costs more than Neooffice, but you're
worth it. :-)

:::: Sell your cleverness, and purchase bewilderment -- Rumi
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-6313-15>