[Mediawiki-l] PPT file uploads

Hiram Clawson hiram at soe.ucsc.edu
Mon Mar 17 21:58:56 UTC 2008

Good Afternoon MW Fans:

I've read through previous threads on this situation,
and have tried the work-arounds to allow uploads
of ppt files.  This is MW version 1.8.2

I have settings:

wgFileExtensions = long list of every potential extension
I can think of.  Doesn't help at all for anything.  Seems
to be completely inoperative.

wgMimeDetectorCommand = /usr/bin/file -bi
This helps with most types of extensions.

And finally, to allow the ppt upload:
wgVerifyMimeType= false;

But, then the Wiki thinks this is MIME type: application/msword
Which appears to be incorrect.  I don't know, are ppt files
supposed to be this MIME type ?

The problem comes in when a use clicks on the ppt file link.
I can't seem to get WEB browsers to exec the appropriate ppt
viewer program.

Did anyone else ever get this to work ?

--Hiram