[Mediawiki-l] Mediawiki pages deleted after upgrade?

Schneelocke schneelocke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:41:17 UTC 2008

Hiya,

>  My question is whether this is normal behavior in 1.11.2 or whether I
>  did something wrong during the upgrade.

That's normal behaviour. IIRC, MediaWiki used to populate the
MediaWiki namespace with default messages; later on, the software was
changed to pull in defaults from the message files instead, and the
upgrade script looked for unmodified default messages and deleted
those.

>  Thanks in advance for any pointers.  Just a final note: Since the wiki
>  seems to be functioning well I'm living with this oddity, and if I need
>  to modify another Mediawiki: page, I'll just undelete it too.  But it
>  seems certain that something is not right with this wiki.

Actually, it should be possible to just recreate MediaWiki namespace
pages, although you will probably need to have sysop permissions in
order to do so. If this isn't working - if the new message isn't
showing up and/or isn't being used after saving -, then something's
wrong indeed.

HTH!

--
schnee