[Mediawiki-l] Search less than 4 characters.

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 12 16:50:28 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I am running a Linux server with about 30 wikis, each with its own
database instance using MySQL5 on a separate server.  I have found that
the wiki's search engine will only search for strings 4 characters or
more.  This is evidently caused by the MySQL's default configuration
having full text search indexing limited to a minumum of 4 characters.
One of my customers would like their wiki to do 3 character searches.

I have found a good description of how to fix this by modifying the
MySQL configuration, rebuilding indexes and restarting MySQL here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Short_words_in_searches
but I'm reluctant to bugger with the MySQL server's configuration for
just 1 wiki out of 30 we are supporting.

Does anyone have a recommendation for this, such as an extension, to add
a separate search engine.  I've looked at the Extension Matrix and
didn't see anything that was exciting.

Thanks,
-Jim