[Mediawiki-l] (finish-and-release? '(Extension:MovePageEx Extension:WikiVid))

DanTMan dan_the_man at telus.net
Sat Mar 1 07:19:54 UTC 2008

Firstly, I've had an extension in existence for a good time now;
MovePageEx. I have info up on it over on some pages on Wikia.
I was wondering if anyone wanted me to clean up the code to the newer
standards and release it on MediaWiki.org?

I developed it some time ago for the Wikia ACG project (Though the
technical stuff hasn't actually been done yet), to solve the issue of
needing to mass move pages.

Quite simply, it's an extension to page Moving which allows for
conditional mass page moves dealing with a page and all it's
subpages/talkpages.

So basically, if you had the pages:
Foo
Foo/Bar
Talk:Foo
Talk:Foo/Bar
And you clicked on MovePageEx while on [[Foo]] and entered *Baz* into
the input box then selected all the pages, they would then be moved to:
Baz
Baz/Bar
Talk:Baz
Talk:Baz/Bar

Of course, it's all conditional, so you could easily tell it to only
move Foo, Foo/Bar, and Talk:Foo/Bar leaving Talk:Foo behind.

It's got sysop restriction because it allows for mass page moves.

So does anyone want me to clean and release it?
----
Now secondly, there's another extension I've got, except it's in partial
development (85% of it is complete, and it's got a fair amount of
functional use already).
It's called WikiVid, and it's basically used for embedding videos from
external video hosts into the page.

I started development on it with the intent on having it replace every
one of the current multitude of extensions on MediaWiki.org which deal
with embedding external videos into the wiki (EmbedVideo, YouTube
(emijrp), GoogleVideo, InteriaVideo, Stage6, SuperDeluxe, VideoFlash,
YouTube (Iubito), and YouTubeTag).
Quite simply because there is no real single extension which is the best
to use. Some have better functionality than others, some use better tags
than others, and some let you use services which others don't let you.
But it all boils down to a pile of crap when you look at how diverse and
poor quality most of them are.

You can find some information on it at a preumptive page on
MediaWiki.org: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiVid
But if you want a short breakdown of what the extension offers:
- Planned support for the video services: YouTube, Stage6, Google Video,
MySpace TV, Metacafe, veo, Dailymotion, Funny Or Die, seveload, Revver
(Which basically consists of nearly every video service I could find
that other MW extensions support)
- Unlike any of the other extensions, it's extensible; The support for
video services is actually done in a OOP method, you can easily copy the
code for one of the other classes, create a new file inside of the
directory for it, and break down the embed code from another service to
extend the extension to support it to. (This means that while I listed a
number above, anyone can easily create a new class for another service
and allow someone to install support for that service simply by saving
the file into their directory)
- Support for both {{#wikivid:service|id}} and <service>id</service>
formats are provided, but those are actually a mere side-track from the
extension for those who desperately want it.
Honestly I use a factory class for creating video embed code, so you can
honestly easily extend the extension to support any method of embed code
you want.
-- The real focal point of the extension is what I call a LinkedVideo.
Rather than sticking some ugly embed code inside of the page, you can
'Connect' or 'Link' a video to the wiki using [[Special:LinkVideo]]. The
special page allows you to select a service, then give it a video id,
and a local title (The extension supports a handy suggest feature which
also allows you to paste in a url or piece of embed code from that video
service, and it'll attempt to extract the id from that, and if possible
also a potential title).
After that, the video is listed at [[Special:LinkedVideos]] and it gets
it's own Embed: Page which is similar to a Image: page which gives a
video preview, tells what service it's from, and links to the original
video. But the big focus is the embed code, if you Linked the YouTube
video WlocoNadBKs with the title Get it By your Hands, you would then be
able to embed it into the wiki just using [[Embed:Get it By your Hands]].
- Oh, I didn't mention it in the note on the Embed: pages... But not
only does each video get it's own page, but just like what happens when
you add a [[Image:]] tag to a page, when you add a [[Embed:]] tag to a
page by going to the Embed: page for that video you can actually see a
list of pages which have the video embedded into it.
- The extension supports a number of parameters similar to what
[[Image:]] supports: frame (Video title is displayed inside the frame to
with a link [type of link depends on method of embedding]), caption
video size (Percentage based, pixel based width/height, and also size
aliases for certain video services), left, right, and centering of the
video, and autoplay (only if the wiki enables $egWikiVidAutoplay and the
video service and it's class support it).
- In addition, service objects can support additional parameters, for
example the YouTube service supports parameters for: showing/not-showing
related videos in the menu/at the end, coloring the player, and giving
the player a border.

Here are a few screenshots:
Image Page:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4308/embedgetitbyyourhandsshww7.jpg
Working Examples (Long image):
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7523/wikividexamplesshoutwikeg0.jpg
An explanation of video code not yet transfered over to MediaWiki.org:
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7039/videocodeshoutwikicomxq4.jpg
A demonstration of Special:LinkVideo:
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4979/connecttoexternalvideosmb8.jpg

So the question is... Is anyone extremely interested in this extension?
Quite simply, I've always had issues completing things if no-one shows
active interest in them. I actually completed this mass majority of the
extension in two nights, but I'm not likely going to finish the
extension up unless someone pokes me in the right way to be interested
in completing it. (Fortunately I don't have this issue with paid work,
because the employer is always interested in it).

^_^ Oh, sorry about the subject line... I had a Lisp moment there,
rofl... (consume (mmm... food:pie :flavor 'fruit:blueberry))

--
~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of:
-The Gaiapedia (http://gaia.wikia.com)