[Mediawiki-l] Extremely slow response after upgrade to 3.12.0

DanTMan dan_the_man at telus.net
Fri Jun 27 10:58:22 UTC 2008


By definition of caching you're not going to see a sudden magical 
increase in speed on your site. You need to enable it, and wait for 
awhile so that the caches can get built up by people viewing the site 
and start actually being used as the same things are viewed over. You 
may also want to try an optcode cache like eAccelerator, APC, or xcache 
if you don't already have one.

However, by your mention of the MessageCache and $wgUseDatabaseMessages, 
the issue looks like it has to do something with the database queries 
used to grab the messages.

~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of:
-The Nadir-Point Group (http://nadir-point.com)
--It's Wiki-Tools subgroup (http://wiki-tools.com)
--Games-G.P.S. (http://ggps.org)
-And Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)

Neil Bird wrote:
>    In a nutshell, I've upgraded a previously working 1.5.(1?) install to 
> 1.12.0.  It seemed to go smoothly, and everything's there with no 
> discernible errors, but pages are taking some 20 s. to come back.
>
>    I'm not running any caching, but there are 4 wikis on this [CentOS 5] box 
> running under Apache virtual servers, one at least of which has been 1.12.0 
> for a bit and doesn't show any slowness with no caching.
>
>    I've compared the LocalSettings.php files for the OK one and my slow one, 
> and there's nothing obviously different that might affect this.
>
>    Bizarrely, we have a development box alongside the production one which 
> ought to be identical (they actually both virtual boxes on the same hopst(s) 
> just to confuse matters), and my wiki runs at a decent rate on that one. 
> Same versions, I've copied the d/b across (mysqldump --add-drop-tables), and 
> compared the entire 'wiki' subdirs.  No obvious diff.
>
>    The only advertised diff. between the production box and the dev. one is 
> that the production box uses SELinux.
>
>    *Also*, I have found that I can ‘remove’ the speed problem by using 
> “$wgUseDatabaseMessages = false;“ (from a google around the issue). 
> However, the MediaWiki docs imply that this would be obviated by using 
> caching, and I have tried memcached temporarily, and it seemed to make no 
> difference at all.
>
>
>    I'm now down to analysing a strace of a php session between the working 
> wiki and mine.
>
>    Just for completeness, here's a bit of my strace that displays a lag. 
> Note that I can find no ref. to ‘Revision.php’ in the strace of the working 
> one.  Also, just prio to this there's mention of ‘MediaWikiBagOStuf...’ and 
> then ‘MessageCache::loa...’ in what I think is a channel to mysql.  There's 
> no mention of MessageCache, bar one to the .php file, in the working strace.
>
>    Does anyone have any ideas about what I can look at next?
>
>    ----
>
> time(NULL)                              = 1214560045
> lstat64("/var", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
> lstat64("/var/www", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
> lstat64("/var/www/fwwiki", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0770, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
> lstat64("/var/www/fwwiki/wiki", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
> lstat64("/var/www/fwwiki/wiki/includes", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, 
> st_size=12288, ...}) = 0
> lstat64("/var/www/fwwiki/wiki/includes/Revision.php", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0664, 
> st_size=22430, ...}) = 0
> open("/var/www/fwwiki/wiki/includes/Revision.php", O_RDONLY) = 4
> fstat64(4, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0664, st_size=22430, ...}) = 0
> lseek(4, 0, SEEK_CUR)                   = 0
> read(4, "<?php\n/**\n * @todo document\n */\n"..., 8192) = 8192
> brk(0x8c54000)                          = 0x8c54000
> read(4, "er      = isset( $row[\'user\']   "..., 8192) = 8192
> read(4, "o external storage if required\n\t"..., 8192) = 6046
> read(4, "", 8192)                       = 0
> read(4, "", 8192)                       = 0
> close(4)                                = 0
> nanosleep({1, 213780000}, NULL)         = 0
> <snip lots of these>
> nanosleep({1, 70533000}, NULL)          = 0
> access("/var/www/fwwiki/wiki/serialized/MessagesEn.ser", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT 
> (No such file or directory)
> access("/var/www/fwwiki/wiki/languages/messages/MessagesEn.php", F_OK) = 0
> stat64("/var/www/fwwiki/wiki/languages/messages/MessagesEn.php", 
> {st_mode=S_IFREG|0664, st_size=188674, ...}) = 0
> time(NULL)                              = 1214560066
>
>
>   



More information about the MediaWiki-l mailing list