[Mediawiki-l] backup advice wanted

roger at rogerchrisman.com roger at rogerchrisman.com
Wed Jun 25 21:06:24 UTC 2008

I have no prior experience invoking mysql queries on the command line.
Now (I think) I know to use a semicolon (;) on the end of last line in
a query. Thank you for mentioning that.

The below mysql session worked for me and seems to indicate my
MediaWiki database (roger_wgdb) is character encoded
"latin1_swedish_ci". How odd.

Is "latin1_swedish_ci" normal or default for MediaWiki?
(I was expecting "latin1" because my MediaWiki is in English on a
Dathorn.com virtual Web hosting server in USA and "latin1" is
indicated by status in the bottom part of my mysql session, copied
below. This MediaWiki was born on a FreeBSD box, moved to
Dreamhost.com virtual Web hosting, then here to Dathorn.com virtual
Web hosting. All in USA but that first, FreeBSD, box may have set the
database character encoding of my wiki born on it, and that box is no
longer available to check status on. So I appear to be stuck in
character encoding "latin1_swedish_ci", right?

So, should I specify  --default-character-set=latin1_swedish_ci  in my
mysqldump backup commands?

=== Here's my mysql session indicating "latin1_swedish_ci" ===

mysql> SELECT table_collation
    -> FROM information_schema.tables
    -> WHERE table_schema = 'roger_wgdb';
+-------------------+
| table_collation   |
+-------------------+
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
| latin1_swedish_ci |
+-------------------+
35 rows in set (0.86 sec)

mysql> status;
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.45, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 5.0

Connection id:		14978
Current database:
Current user:		roger at localhost
SSL:			Not in use
Current pager:		stdout
Using outfile:		''
Using delimiter:	;
Server version:		5.0.45-community-log MySQL Community Edition (GPL)
Protocol version:	10
Connection:		Localhost via UNIX socket
Server characterset:	latin1
Db     characterset:	latin1
Client characterset:	latin1
Conn.  characterset:	latin1
UNIX socket:		/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:			1 hour 42 min 24 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 375766  Slow queries: 20  Opens: 3775  Flush
tables: 1  Open tables: 3676  Queries per second avg: 61.160

mysql>

=== End mysql session ===

Thanks!
Roger