[Mediawiki-l] MS strikes again (mime types)

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Wed Jun 25 15:29:15 UTC 2008

Peter Laws wrote:

> OK, so I've got it so that it doesn't reject vsd/xls/pdf outright, but now
> I've got the infamous "The file is corrupt or has an incorrect extension"
> message.
>
> I have "$wgMimeDetectorCommand= "file -bi";" but I note that when I run
> "file -bi" against an XLS file, I get
>
> application/msword
>
> Is that the right MIME type for an MS-Excel spreadsheet?

So it seems this is, surprise, a problem with magic in MS-Office-related
files (XLS, VSD, PPT, DOC), namely that they all are IDed as
application/msword.

Someone sent me a patch for MimeMagic.php that has a bunch of conditionals
in it that will apparently work around MS' problem.  Cool!

Except that patch barfs on it.  I'm no patch wizard or PHP wizard, but it
appears to me that MimeMagic.php's code has changed enough that patch
couldn't insert the changes.

Anyone have this happen and have a workaround for the patch?  Or an updated
patch?  Or hints?

Interestingly, we just ran into a problem with Exchange rejecting
attachments as spam because, ta da, Thunderbird assigns an "incorrect"
mime-type to MS files!

Peter

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY