[Mediawiki-l] Wiki on a Stick

Sandy Rozhon srozhon at oh.rr.com
Sat Jun 14 16:26:11 UTC 2008

Has anyone successfully managed to use "Wiki on a Stick" with their
USB portable device?

I installed the required programs (Apache 2, PHP5, Imagemagick,
MySQL, Mediawiki, and PHPmyAdmin) but seem to be having a couple of
issues that I cannot figure out.

My folder structure is as follows:
/wosportable
/wosportable/apache2
/wosportable/php5
/wosportable/ImageMagick
/wosportable/mysql
/wosportable/php5
/wosportable/wos
/wosportable/www
/wosportable/www/mediawiki
/wosportable/www/phpmyadmin
/wosportable/www/start

1. I insert the USB 2 GB stick into the port.

2. I run WOS to get things going but it opens a browser window
"http://localhost/start/?lang=en"  that says "The page cannot be
displayed".

3. If I enter 127.0.0.1 in the browser, then I see the WOW Welcome
screen which reports the following:

Apache 2.2.8 is running
PHP 5.2.5 works
MySql 5.0.45-community-nt is running
ImageMagick 4.2.9 is available and works

Document Root is: I:/wosportable/www

Installed packages
Apache2 (Version 2.2.8)
ImageMagick (Version 4.2.9)
MySQL5 (Version 5.0.45)
PHP5 (Version 5.2.5)
MediaWiki (Version 1.11.0)
PHPMyAdmin (Version 2.11.4)

4. Now if I try to click on the MediaWiki link, instead of opening
Mediawiki, it asks me if I want to SAVE the page.  So it appears that
WOW is perhaps not using PHP to open the index.php.  Is PHP even
running?  If not, how do I start it up?

Assuming I can ever get past this stumbling block, another issue is
how to get PHPMyAdmin to let me import my SQL files without coughing
up a hairball.  Apparently there is some restriction on the size
these files can be.  How do I get around that?  Can I just copy the
files to the USB stick and avoid PHPMyAdmin altogether?

Help!
Sandy