[Mediawiki-l] MySQL Backup and Encodings

Matthias Korn matsch at rockinchina.com
Sat Jun 14 09:24:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

according to the purpose of our wiki we have many pages with Chinese
titles, which works just fine.

But every time I backup the MySQL database (i.e. create a db dump)
with phpMyAdmin and restore it all pages with Chinese titles are broken.

See:
- http://wiki.rockinchina.com/index.php?title=烂掉吧_(P.K._14)
- http://wiki.rockinchina.com/index.php?title=ǃ‚掉å%3F§_(P.K._14)
(Both should be the same. The page definitely exists.)

Most tables in the db are of type InnoDB and have the collation
latin1_swedish_ci.

MediaWiki 1.12.0
MySQL 5.0.32-Debian_7etch4-log
phpMyAdmin 2.11.4

I am by far no db expert, nor an encoding expert. Can and should I
change the collation to something else??

As I said, running the site works fine, but dumping and importing the
data back into the datebase breaks Chinese page titles. How can I make
good backups which do not corrupt those entries??

Beside phpMyAdmin I also do have limited shell access to the server
(phphshell).

Any hints are welcome!

Thanks,
Matthias