[Mediawiki-l] Backup system

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Wed Jul 23 17:33:19 UTC 2008

Can anyone here give me some suggestions for the best way to back up
the database for our website? Originally we used a cron job that did a
MySQL dump every evening, but as the size of our wiki has grown, the
time needed just to run the dump has grown. It now takes 30-45
minutes, during which time site performance bogs down. We've therefore
tried doing live MySQL replication instead to maintain a mirror of the
database, but that doesn't seem to work very well.

Is there some other approach that we should be trying?

SHELDON RAMPTON
Research director, Center for Media & Democracy
Center for Media & Democracy
520 University Avenue, Suite 227
Madison, WI 53703
phone: 608-260-9713

Subscribe to our free Weekly Spin email:
<http://www.prwatch.org/cmd/subscribe_sotd.html>

Subscribe to our Weekly Radio Spin podcasts:
<http://www.prwatch.org/audio/feed>

Read and add to articles on people, issues and groups shaping the
public agenda:
<http://www.sourcewatch.org>

Support independent, public interest reporting:
<http://www.prwatch.org/donate>