[Mediawiki-l] Problems with my wiki off-line

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:10:10 UTC 2008

On 29/01/2008, zaydo <zaydo at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just for fun, I wanted to install my wiki off-line on a laptop. It works
> except for the images.
> Opening an article, the software does not find the images:
>
> ...images/d/de/imagename.jpg...: failed to open stream...
>
> Well, of course the directories d/de below images do not exist. To my
> understanding those belong to the cache system of my life wiki. Therefore I
> did not copy them to the off-line version.
> I tried to set $wgCacheEpoch, $wgThumbnailEpoch, $wgUseFileCache and others
> to solve the problem - without success.
>
> How can I persuade the software to use the image in the images-directory
> instead?

The subdirectories are nothing to do with caching - they exist to
prevent one folder getting excessively large. If you copied all the
images to /images, rather than /images/d/de/ or whatever, then you
just need to edit LocalSettings.php and set $wgHashedUploadDirectory
to false, and everything should work. If you didn't copy the images at
all, then you will need to do so, either to the subfolders (in which
case, leave LocalSettings as it is) or just to the images folder (in
which case, make the change to LocalSettings).