[Mediawiki-l] Image not appearing

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 28 23:31:17 UTC 2008

wolferey at wolferey.net wrote:
> I am having a problem with images not appearing after we’ve uploaded
> them. The mime type seems to be correct, and if you follow the direct
> link it will show the image, so the upload works, but the image
> doesn’t appear both on pages and on the image page.
>

> Link: http://www.timespin.net/spillmodding/wiki/Bilde:Testing.jpg
>
> Testing.jpg‎ (filstørrelse: 316 KB, MIME-type: image/jpeg) – File
> size and type is correct, and if I follow the testing.jpg link, I can
> see the image, but that is the only place I can see it.

Ok, a couple issues off the top of my head:

* The listed MIME type appears to be padded with what may be NULL
characters. This might indicate a problem with your database.... Perhaps
it was set up with the binary configuration but with a fixed-size field
instead of the variable-size one?

Check the image table's layout (SHOW CREATE TABLE image).

This could cause the standard handling of JPEG files to be skipped as
the type string wouldn't match. Thus you get a generic file icon and no
image dimensions listed.

* The actual file link is broken:

http://www.timespin.net/spillmodding/wiki/images/2/23/Testing.jpg

It seems you've got your upload path mixed in with your URL rewrite
rules, and the browser can't get at your files.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)