[Mediawiki-l] Hello, newbie here.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:39:38 UTC 2008

On 25/01/2008, Cindy Livengood <cmlivengood at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to this list and new to the wiki admin stuff.  I need to start a
> wiki for my school.  I'm not a programmer, but I will learn anything I a
> need to learn.

If you already have some sysadmin skills on your chosen platform
(Linux/Unix or Windows), MediaWiki is marvellously easy to set up and
use.

You will need to be comfortable working at the command line and
editing configuration files - it's not a pointy-clicky installation,
even though as much as possible is automated.

If you do feel confident at your abilities to do horrible things to
your computer and have them work, I recommend MediaWiki wholeheartedly
:-)

You don't need to be a programmer - I'm not. (Though Unix sysadmins
tend to pick up coding and code reading to some degree.)

- d.