[Mediawiki-l] Remove page name prefix on Category page

Michael Schmarck michael.schmarck at habmalnefrage.de
Tue Jan 22 12:07:03 UTC 2008

Good afternoon!

How do I make a Category page remove a certain prefix from the page names,
which make up that category?

Let me give an example:
Suppose you've got a Wiki, where you are documenting settings of your servers.
Let's say, there are 2 servers and you're documenting the web server and
email server daemons. That's actually what I'm doing. So I've got these
pages:

- Server1/email
- Server1/web
- Server2/email
- Server2/web

The Server1/* pages belong to the Category:Server1 and Server2/* makes up
Category:Server2. When I now go to Category:Server1, I see:

- Server1/email
- Server1/web

That's no good, as the Server1/ prefix "clutters up" the display. Additionally,
all those pages  are sorted under the "S" heading; but that could be worked
around by setting a "custom" sort key (ie. I'd use something like
[[Category:Server1/email|email]] on the Server1/email page).

But this would still show Server1/email on the Category:Server1 page.

How could I work around this feature?

Thanks a lot,

Michael