[Mediawiki-l] Strange Caching or Broken Firefox?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 03:10:58 UTC 2008

I have some plugin code that does a redirect. It works as expected
with Internet Explorer which looks like the following:

  GET /mediawiki/index.php/SomethingThatCausesARedirect
  302 Found: Location: /mediawiki/index.php/Foo
  GET /mediawiki/index.php/Foo
  200 OK
  <Now click on 'Main Page' link>
  GET /mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
  304 Unmodified
  <'Main Page' is shown successfully>

But if Firefox 1.5 on Linux is used, sometimes the browser get's stuck
in this mode where it always re-retrieves the redirected page. The
capture looks like:

  GET /mediawiki/index.php/SomethingThatCausesARedirect
  302 Found: Location: /mediawiki/index.php/Foo
  GET /mediawiki/index.php/Foo
  200 OK
  <Now click on 'Main Page' link>
  GET /mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
  304 Unmodified
  GET /mediawiki/index.php/Foo
  200 OK
  <Page 'Foo' is shown which is not correct>

All responses have 'Cache-Control: private, must-revalidate,
max-age=0. The server is Apache on Ubuntu Server and there's no proxy
or cache in between.

Here the funny part. If I click on any other link instead of 'Main
Page' (e.g. 'Comminity portal') the problem does not occur - the
second time I click on 'Community portal' I get the right page and not
'Foo'.

Has anyone seen this before?

How can I stop FF from re-retriving 'Foo' ever time I click on 'Main Page'?

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO