[Mediawiki-l] Example of a multiple language wiki

Garth Patil garthpatil at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 02:56:54 UTC 2008

Hi,
I've searched rather far and wide for an example configuration of a
single topic wiki with a number of languages, but haven't found
anything other than a few disparate suggestions of how to go about
implementing it using the existing version of mediawiki. The general
requirements are:
- Like wikipedia, language in indicated in the domain name (e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/, etc).
- The user database is shared among all language wikis, but articles
are not. Images/media are shared.
- The code is not duplicated in multiple folders. Symbolic linking is okay.
I have a partially-working setup I've hacked together myself that uses
symbolic links, some mod_rewrite magic, multiple LocalSettings.php
files, and a separate database for each language with the user tables
(user, user_groups, user_newtalk, watchlist) federated to a single
database. However, I'm interested in seeing how other people have done
it. Would anyone care to share their configuration, or point to a
online reference I may have missed?
Thanks and Happy New Year,
Garth