[Mediawiki-l] Effectiveness of Extension:WhiteList?

Paul Grinberg gri6507 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 14:29:43 UTC 2008

Virgil Ierubino <virgil.ierubino at ...> writes:

> Does anyone know how well this extension works? Has anyone used it?
>
> It claims to be able to restrict access to all pages except those on a
> whitelist, FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL USER. The last part there, of course, being
> the bit that makes me suspicious. The documentation on Meta mentions no
> holes, workarounds, or flaws of any kind. Does this extension do what it
> says on the tin?

We, the authors, have added a much more complete list of possible security
issues and workarounds to block them whenever possible. Please see
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WhiteList#Security_Issues

However, in the spirit of open source development, we would very much like to
invite everyone here to try out the extension and try to find additional holes.
We would be very glad to patch them up if issues are discovered.