[Mediawiki-l] Could not find file "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\phpF4.tmp" when uploading images

David Macdonald david.macdonald at unsw.edu.au
Mon Feb 25 05:29:26 UTC 2008

Hi All,

We have a problem with file uploading on one of our wikis. After
clicking "Upload file" the wiki displays:

Article title: Internal error
Message: Could not find file "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\phpF4.tmp". (sometimes
"phpFC" or some other variation)

The problem is intermittent, so if we retry it about ten times it
eventually works.

MediaWiki: 1.11.0
PHP: 5.2.3 (isapi)
MySQL: 5.0.41-community-nt
Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6.0
Extensions: PasswordReset, SpecialInterwiki, wikicalendar

I realise that this is possibly a Windows/IIS problem. It's difficult to
investigate because it doesn't occur all the time. We use lots of images
so it causes a big headache.

I'd appreciate any pointers on what I should be looking for....

Regards,
David.