[Mediawiki-l] Updating custom tags without edit/save? or (show information in article based on selection)

Adam Meyer meyer7 at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 17 14:57:34 UTC 2008

Id like to do is display custom information based on information in
the users cookie.

On my site, I would like localized information. So when a student goes
to the page, they set the school they are at, then certain information
on pages would be customized to them.
EG
say you have an article on smoothies. And you want an area for
smoothie areas around them. So if they are at UCLA it lists the ones
for that area. and if ASU ones for that area would be shown, but the
bulk of the page would be the same for both users.

But I found that pages will not update unless you edit and save the
page, so there is no way to have it show/hide. Even if you make a tag
that just outputs a random number, it will give the same number every
time until you edit and save the page.

Is there any way around this, or doing what I posted above?

-Thanks
-Adam