[Mediawiki-l] Installation/Configuration Question

Melissa Dougherty melissa at cse-corp.com
Thu Feb 14 16:52:00 UTC 2008

I'm following the documentation to install MediaWiki on a server.  I installed MySQL 5.0.50, PHP 5, Java 1.6.0_04, and Apache Tomcat 5.5.26.  I don't understand what I need to do to run the app.  I can access the Apache Tomcat admin page.  Any additational information on the doc would be very helpful.

In the following examples, it is assumed that your website is located at http://www.example.com/ which is physically located on your server at /home/example/web. You will need to adjust the examples to use the appropriate locations for your situation.

  1.. Use your web browser to browse to the main wiki page. This is the web-accessible folder that you installed MediaWiki into, and is typically /wiki (e.g. http://www.example.com/wiki/, assuming you installed MediaWiki to /home/example/web/wiki).
  2.. You will be presented with a message telling you that your wiki is installed, but has not yet been configured and that you need to "click here to setup the wiki". Click on the link to begin the configuration script. For reference (in case you want to go there directly), this is located in the wiki's config directory (so using the example above you would go to http://www.example.com/wiki/config/).
  3.. If the script spots any configuration errors then it will not allow you to continue. See below for details about the error messages you might encounter, and what to do if you do.
  4.. If all the tests pass, you will be presented with a form to fill in the information that MediaWiki now requires. Follow the instructions on the form to fill in the required entries. See below if you need help with any of the items.
  5.. Click the "Install!" button. The script will now populate the database and write a configuration file. If any errors occur, go back and check your data - see below for help.

Melissa