[Mediawiki-l] Strange artifacts in thumbnail and preview images

Sandy Rozhon srozhon at oh.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 18:20:05 UTC 2008

On 11 Feb 2008 at 13:40, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Sandy Rozhon wrote:
> > I just scanned and uploaded a batch of images which subsequently
> > went into a gallery on my Wiki.  For some reason, the thumbnails and
> > the preview images all seem to have something strange happening to
> > them, but the full resolution image is just fine.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean these up and why this
> > is happening?  I've done similar processing on hundreds of other
> > pictures without running into this problem.  I scanned these at 500
> > dpi, enhanced the contrast, and adjusted the color balance.  Then I
> > used Microsoft's "resizer" toy to bring the file sizes down to a
> > reasonable level for uploading.  I scanned at such a high dpi
> > because I knew that I was going to ultimately resize these images.
> >
> > Here's the URL (look for the 1970 Memorial Day Parade pictures):
> >
> > http://www.zodiacal.com/brooklyn/index.php5?title=St._Barbara_Photo_
> > Album
>
> Could be something wrong with the GD libraries or ImageMagick on your
> system.... strange. Try switching one for the other and remove the
> thumbnails to regenerate them.
>
> -- brion

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to switch between those on my
own.  And as I recall, one of those was a problem for creating
thumbnails when I first installed Mediawiki last year, so the company
that hosts my website did a switch at that time to fix the problem.
They did just upgrade to PHP5.  Perhaps they changed something else
that I'm unaware of, so I guess I'll write to them and see if they
have any ideas.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Sandy