[Mediawiki-l] four basics I am lost with.

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 14:47:06 UTC 2008

JFC Morfin wrote:
> I try to do four probably basic things but not being a PHP/JS
> dedicated programmer I do not succeed.
> I wish to :
>
> 1. replace the Monobook backgound image (and color if it goes with it).
> 2. click on the logo and reach an external URL or
> 3. a full page with search and menu as the Wikipedia welcome page.
> 4. get a working example of a bi/multilingual configuration or an
> how-to I can understand (not the different options, just a complete sample).
>
> When my site is OK I plan to make it a configuration on a USB key
> with its own generation program, so everyone can install an
> operational multilingual wiki based system in minutes.
>
> Thank you for your help !
> jfc

0. Create your emails from 0. Your message was attached to a lengthy
thread, so it was harder to found out.
1. Edit [[Mediawiki:monobook.css]] and set there the needed CSS
attributes (the defaults are at file skins/monobook/main.css).
2. By default clicking on the logo sends you to the page specified at
Mediawiki:mainpage. If you want a full URL, you'll need to edit
skins/MonoBook.php
At line 147 there's 	?>href="<?php echo
htmlspecialchars($this->data['nav_urls']['mainpage']['href'])?>"<?php
change that to 	?>href="http://www.example.com/"<?php
3. Which wikipedia welcome page? It's the usual monobook skin
You can insert a search box in a wiki page with <inputbox>
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Inputbox
4. There're two basic ways to have multiple languages in mediawiki. Use
language codes to subpages (eg. Main_Page/fr, which can also be
available as Accueil) Or using a wiki per language (as it's done with
the wikipedias).