[Mediawiki-l] restricting page creation

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 18:11:50 UTC 2008

On 09/02/2008, anand kumar <anandshahil11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiiii to All.
>      can i do few things in Mediawiki...
>      like can i able to
>     1. create a new group for a specific topic &  assign a permission to
> that group.
>     2. make a indiviual group and  one designated super user for group,how
> can able to do all the   operation on that group.

Short answer, yes.

Long answer:

1) To make a new group, you simply assign the permission in
LocalSettings.php, just add:
$wgGroupPermissions['groupname']['permission']=true;

2) To determine who can set group membership, do this:
$wgGroupPermissions['supergroupname']['userrights'] = true;
$wgAddGroups['supergroupname'] = array( 'groupname' );
$wgRemoveGroups['supergroupname'] = array( 'groupname' );

Depending on how you have it set up at the moment, you may need to
give someone permission to add people to 'supergroupname' - I think
the default is for bureaucrats to be able to add people to any groups.