[Mediawiki-l] Is there any reason to use a table name prefix ifyou don't have to?

Jack Eapen C jackec at suntecgroup.com
Tue Feb 5 13:37:01 UTC 2008

 Hi,

There is no reason that compels you to use a table prefix. You need to
use a table prefix only if you want to use the same mysql database for
some other applications, or use the same db for different versions of
Mediawiki. Even if you use same database for multiple applications, it's
not necessary to use a table prefix. A table prefix will only help you
while viewing the table names-if you use a prefix, you can see all the
mediawiki tables together. Or if you want to export only mediawiki
tables using an application like phpMyAdmin from a multi-application
database, you can easily select the tables in one go, if they have a
prefix. That's it; nothing more.

Regards,

Jack Eapen
SunTec Knowledge Centre
"May He protect us both. May He cause us both to enjoy.May we exert
together. May our studies become brilliant. May we not hate each other"