[Mediawiki-l] Is there any reason to use a table name prefix if you don't have to?

The Gadget Doctor mediawiki at thegadgetdoctor.com
Tue Feb 5 11:44:05 UTC 2008

I'm gradually moving up in the world of hosting from shared accounts with no
shell access to (now) a VPS host with full control.

I would like to ask the philosophical question of whether using a table
prefix like "mw_" is of any use later? I have pretty much full control of my
box, can have as many MySQL databases as I like (including dev, test and
live ones).

It would seem to me that having completely separate databases (as opposed to
differently named tables) is the way to go for me but can anyone help out
with practical experience. Up to now I've used a prefix of mw_ and I could
continue with that or just stop.

Gadget Doctor