[Mediawiki-l] Transparent proxies & staying logged in

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Fri Dec 26 22:23:40 UTC 2008

I'm having this problem, preventing me from logging in to Appropedia:

"Immediately logging
out<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Logging_in#Immediately_logging_out>

Some ISPs use transparent
proxies<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_proxy>which cause
problems logging in. If you find that you are automatically
logged out just after you have logged in, and removing all your Wikipedia
cookies does not fix the issue, try using the secure
server<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Main_Page>(much
slower) to bypass the proxy. This happens most often with some
satellite ISPs (particularly HughesNet<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HughesNet>
/DirecWay <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecWay>/DirecPC<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecPC>
)."

The problem is that this is not a Wikimedia site, so that secure server link
does not help. It's important, as I'm one of the Appropedia admins and have
admin tasks I need to do, while I'm staying in a location (Lago Atitlan,
Guatemala) where the ISP uses a satellite connection.

I'm not sure why, but it affects some MediaWiki sites and not others. I stay
logged in to Wikipedia, Greenlivingpedia
<http://www.greenlivingpedia.org/>and the OLPC
wiki <http://wiki.laptop.org>, but not to
Appropedia<http://www.appropedia.org/>or
Envirowiki <http://en.envirowiki.info>, where I get logged out on the first
. I can stay logged in to the Creative Commons wiki for several clicks
before getting logged out, and with some extra effort I successfully made an
edit there.

--
Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es