[Mediawiki-l] The state of wysiwyg for mediawiki

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Mon Dec 22 03:58:00 UTC 2008

Here is what I have discovered in trying to bring wysiwyg to my users (let
me know of any modifications to this!):

   - The fckeditor mediawiki extension is broken due to two factors. 1)
   there have been major changes to the mediawiki parser 2) fckeditor is being
   re-written from scratch so the extension won't be fixed in light of the
   parser changes
   - wikiwyg hasn't been updated since forever
   - The foundation might develop some kind of wysiwyg using its recent
   usability donation, but you can't really expect anything until April 2010

So if you currently have a working wysiwyg, I strongly suggest you do not
upgrade to mediawiki 1.14*,  else it will end up broken.

Cheers,
Brian

--
(Not sent from my iPhone)