[Mediawiki-l] JFusion MediaWiki plug-in

Erlend Heggen e.soghe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 01:47:19 UTC 2008

*Greetings to all MediaWiki developers,*

My name is Erlend "Sadr" S. Heggen, and I am a project manager for the
JFusion <http://www.jfusion.org/> project. A while ago I did some brief
inquiries on your IRC-channel in order to figure out what would be the best
way to get in touch with MW's developers and have my voice heard, and this
mailing list seems to be what I was looking for, so pardon me if I'm
mistaken.
*
**About JFusion*:

*"JFusion is a free GPL Extension for the award winning Content Management
System (CMS) Joomla! <http://www.joomla.org/>. JFusion provides universal
user integration, by extending the Joomla 1.5 user authentication
framework without
any core hacks.

With JFusion your users can login to both Joomla and the software(s)
integrated by JFusion using the same username/password. No core hacks are
made to either Joomla or the integrated software(s) which has the advantage
that you can upgrade your software normally without any tedious
reconfigurations.*"

In case that didn't project a big enough image, the big advantage here would
be how JFusion handles *all* bridges on a site that's using several
different softwares (e.g. Joomla! + MediaWiki + SMF + Coppermine Gallery) at
once, making sure there are no conflicts in between each bridge. There's
also the unique slave/master function, which allows the admin to select
which software should act as the master of the user database.

So my question is simple: Are there any MediaWiki developers / MediaWiki
adepts, who could be interesting in aiding us with making a plug-in to
support MediaWiki as one of JFusion's growing range of bridges?

For proof of concept, see joomlawiki.org <http://www.joomlawiki.org/> and
joomla.anezi.net <http://joomla.anezi.net/en/awiki-demo.html>. The
developers of these extensions will be contacted shortly after the sending
of this message. I hope you can see that there's a considerable demand for
this type of solution, and I dear say what JFusion offers is a revolutionary
way for the end-user to make his favorite picks between (what we hope will
become-) a wide range of high quality open source projects to bring them
together as one, all without hardly any technical insight at all.

For the record, JFusion is currently closing in on a
beta-version<http://www.jfusion.org/index.php/119-Video-preview-of-1.1-Beta.html>,
scheduled for release December 25th. Starting any work on a plug-in before
that time would probably be a bad idea, seeing as a lot of changes will have
been made. Should anyone be interested in helping us out, you should simply
get in touch so that we can start discussing and we'll take it from there.
Any technical questions should be directed to the creator and main
contributor of this project, Marius <mariusvr at gmail.com>, to whom I'm
sending a copy of this mail as well.

*I hope you'll get back to me with positive response shortly.
Sincerely,

~ Erlend*
*JFusion Project Manager*