[Mediawiki-l] Building two sites using one wiki - how to manage similar (but different) content

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 03:13:20 UTC 2008

2008/12/3 Evelyn Yoder <eyoder at gmail.com>

> Greetings, all -
>
> Continuing the learning process to master MediaWiki...if you remember
> from last time, our goal is to create online support/help sites for
> two software products. As of last week, we successfully created two
> websites based on the same wiki content. Each site has a different
> skin, logo and sidebar, and they share the same images and extensions.
>
> Because the products are similar, most of the articles will be the
> same. However, some of the articles need to have different content.
> So, out of a total of 500 pages, maybe 30 need to change, depending on
> which product is the focus.
>
> I'm thinking I can use transclusion and parserfunctions to manage the
> content for these "'special" pages, but I need to know if it is
> ridiculous to attempt this?  And what about CategoryTree - it's a
> great extension, but will parserfunctions also work to make the
> Category assignments?
>
> Can a custom namespace help in this instance? Is there another way to
> go? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi Evelyn,

You might be interesting in setting this option:

<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableScaryTranscluding>

It allows transcluding pages from other wikis (although then it says only
template pages, but you can put whatever content you want in a template page
anyway...and the talk page seems to indicate otherwise, anyway...).

Maybe you want a script to automatically create the 470 pages you want...

I don't think custom namespaces are relevant, and your question about parser
functions and CategoryTree is not clear. Maybe try rewording it?

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/