[Mediawiki-l] TinyMCE

Steve VanSlyck s.vanslyck at spamcop.net
Sat Aug 23 21:36:09 UTC 2008

I'm not talking about systems, I'm talking about National Geographic.
Scientific American. Time. Newsweek. &c.

"The view at /CMOS/ is that there is no reason for two spaces after a
period in /published/ work. Some people, however---my colleagues
included---prefer it, relegating this preference to their personal
correspondence and notes. I've noticed in old American books printed in
the few decades before and after the turn of the last century (ca.
1870--1930 at least) that there seemed to be a trend in publishing to
use extra space (sometimes quite a bit of it) after periods. And many
people were taught to use that extra space in typing class (I was). But
introducing two spaces after the period causes problems: (1) it is
inefficient, requiring an extra keystroke for every sentence; (2) even
if a program is set to automatically put an extra space after a period,
such automation is never foolproof; (3) there is no proof that an extra
space actually improves readability---as your comment suggests, it's
probably just a matter of familiarity (Who knows? perhaps it's actually
more efficient to read with less regard for sentences as individual
units of thought---many centuries ago, for example in ancient Greece,
there were no spaces even between words, and no punctuation); (4) two
spaces are harder to control for than one in electronic documents (I
find that the earmark of a document that imposes a two-space rule is a
smattering of instances of both three spaces and one space after a
period, and two spaces in the middle of sentences); and (5) two spaces
can cause problems with line breaks in certain programs.

So, in our efficient, modern world, I think there is no room for two
spaces after a period. In the opinion of this particular copyeditor,
this is a good thing."

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/OneSpaceorTwo/OneSpaceorTwo03.html