[Mediawiki-l] TinyMCE

Michael Daly michael.daly at kayakwiki.org
Sat Aug 23 21:33:04 UTC 2008

Steve VanSlyck wrote:

> Pick up and examine any _professionally_ published book, magazine, or
> newspaper and you won't find double spaces,

OTOH, many _professional_ publishing systems _do_ use different spacing
between periods and the beginning of a new sentence.  The space is
neither one nor two spaces, but intermediate.  Some desktop publishing
systems use an em space between sentences and an en space between words.
  IBM's Script/VS used two spaces on monospace font devices (like older
printers).

Declaring this to be right or wrong based on your preference is hardly
reasonable.  You will find professionally produced documents with a
variety of standards.  Not all will satisfy the CMS reference you
provided.  In fact, my copy of the CMS (13th ed.) states that the
spacing between words and sentences can be varied according to design
and notes the standards for marking up text to increase or decrease
spacing between words.  Full justification of text requires variable
spacing.

Mike