[Mediawiki-l] Can this be done: change the "REL=" attribute for links to unwritten pages

The Gadget Doctor mediawiki at thegadgetdoctor.com
Tue Aug 19 15:23:24 UTC 2008

I'm getting serious about SEO with a forthcoming site and I was thinking
about all the edit links on my pages. I really don't want google or others
crawling these links and I have stopped that with robots.txt. But, is there
any way (without me hacking the core MW code) to put a rel="nofollow"
directive in links pointing to action=edit pages?

I'm currently achieving this in the following way:

my Robots.txt file has the following line:
Disallow: w/

And my wiki lives in w/. However, I've set up nice URLs so that the pages
are read via mywki/ . This then catches all links to unwritten pages
(because these refer to the w/ ) and also print links and so on. I'm
wondering if this is a good solution long term. I'm also using Sitemaps
properly to make sure every page can be found and "good" links that point to
content already written are found and followed by search engines.

Thoughts anyone?