[Mediawiki-l] RSS Feed Caching?

Russ Lavoy ussray_00 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 15:02:08 UTC 2008

Hello All,

I am in dire need of some help regarding RSS feed caching on mediawiki 1.12.

Basically, we have thousands of uses signing up for the following RSS feeds:

http://site.com/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=rss
http://site.com/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=atom

Basically, when I have the RSS feeds enabled the frontend servers get overly utilized.

We have four frontend servers, one DB server and one image server all running RHEL 5.  The frontend servers are running APC 3.0.18, Apache 2.2 PHP 5.1.6 and we also utilize a memcached cluster of four.

The caching is working since I see cache hits on the apc statistics page and when I telnet to the memcached port it also shows cache hits.

The four frontend servers are the ones that suffer when I have these feeds enabled.  They get a load of 60 - 100 (Linux Load), which makes the site unresponsive until I restart Apache (but the load comes right back).

I have tried using wget to get the rss feed and use mod_rewrite to direct them to static content, but the site comes up as the Recentchanges page, not an RSS feed.

Can anyone help me out here?  I would like to re-enable the feeds, but I want a usable site at the same time.

Thanks!