[Mediawiki-l] Printing Section Header Numbers

John van V. john.van.v at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 15:27:13 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I am using a wiki to organize development notes and from them create
structured systems specifications.

A major benefit of using mediawiki is that I can create purely text
documents, which can easily be accessed from low-bandwidth locations.  Also
they can easily fit into software distributions as "readme" files.

The only down side is that the topic headers in the text do not have the
same numbering structure that the topics do in the table of contents, so it
is hard to follow the document structure in a text file.

How would I go about printing the numbering seen in the table of contents in
front of the topic headings in the main text?

Also, I might mention that most systems specification styles require that
the numbers be in the text, though that is only unnecessary in non-hypertext
documents.

Thanks in advance, John