[Mediawiki-l] FCKeditor in real use?

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Tue Aug 5 18:47:46 UTC 2008

We use FCKeditor in the 40 wikis (v1.12.0) that we maintain.  A few
people run into some bugs/issues but even those people  like it much
better than wikitext.  It use to have many bugs (like your foobar
example) but for the current implementation (which for Mediawiki v1.12.0
and earlier requires modifying Sanitizer.php and EditPage.php), I found
those bugs to have gone away.

The biggest issue I have found is the lack of documentation.  There is
documentation for FCKeditor, but not the FCKeditor+Mediaiwki (if I'm
wrong please let me know!).  I found that for it to be completely
functional you need to add the Cite, Calendar, and Inputbox extensions
and maybe others.  There is an "anchor" button in the menu which seems
to be completely worthless.  I found a lot of information on the
FCKeditor's discussion (talk) page:
(http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/index.php/Talk:Main_Page).

But, as I said, compared to using wikitext our users seem to enjoy the
FCKeditor since I have offered to remove it from any of the 40 wikis we
support and none have asked that it be removed.

-Jim