[Mediawiki-l] Help controlling styles on top tabs

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Thu Apr 17 16:30:02 UTC 2008

> From: Tim Ware <tim at hyperarts.com>
>
> How can I style the top tabs on the wiki, the ones with the boxes
> around them (eg page, discussion)?
>
> I need to set the widths and margins and can't find the style that
> controls them in main.css.

RUN, don't walk, down to http://www.westciv.com/xray/xray_more.html
and download XRAY (free).

It's a javascript tool that has changed my life. You stick it on a
bookmark, and when you run it, a window pops up, prompting you to
click on any element on the web page. It then displays all its
attributes, including all the information you need to find it in your
CSS file

In less than an hour with this tool (and a nice CSS editor: "CSSEdit,"
Mac-only, but there are great ones for Linux and Windoze, I'm sure) I
managed to make a MediaWiki site look like a plain-Jane website.

Sorry I don't have THE answer, but this tool will answer your
question, and many more into the future.

:::: The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered
by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which
blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves. -- Dresden James ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::