[Mediawiki-l] Handling TIFF files

Henry Hartley Henry at DotRose.com
Sat Apr 12 14:23:33 UTC 2008

Although I know TIFF is not really a web-friendly format, I have a need
to put TIFF files on a wiki, with thumbnails in PNG or JPEG format.  I
can upload files without any trouble but thumbnails are not created.

This is mediawiki 1.11.  It's not a matter, as far as I can tell, of
file size (the file I tested with wasn't all that big).  Further, the
mime type is correctly discovered by mediawiki.    I found an error in
the log about there not being a media handler for tiff files.  Indeed,
the $wgMediaHandlers array (in /includes/DefaultSettings.php) does not
include anything for TIFF files.  I tried adding an entry to the array
by placing this line in LocalSettings.php.

$wgMediaHandlers['image/tiff'] = 'BitmapHandler' ;

That clearly was not right.  Now I get a properly sized image box on my
wiki page but it says "Error creating thumbnail: Invalid thumbnail
parameters".  So, BitmapHandler is wrong.  Is there any right handler
for tiff images are are they not supported?  Thanks for your help.

--
Henry