[Mediawiki-l] Developing PDF Export: Options

Tibor Lapikas tlapikas at ureason.com
Fri Apr 11 11:46:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am developing a Wiki for creating documentation. So far importing Word
documents and editing the documentation is working well, this is were
MediaWiki really has an advantage over other solutions.

But doing PDF export is not easy. I have installed PDFPrint, it works, but
the quality of the PDF's is not very good. The layout can be messed up and
most importantly, there are not much configuration options, like making
templates, display of links (internal and external), resizing of graphics
etc.

So now I am considering two other ways of PDF export:

1. Wiki to LaTeX

This extention has lots of possibility especially templates and extended
configuration using the LaTeX language. But learning and debugging LaTeX
errors takes some time.

2. Export to XML and convert to PDF (using XLST)

This can also be a good option, but the wiki XML syntax is no real form of
XML like XHTML which makes conversion difficult.

So I have two questions:

1. Who has experience with using the wiki2Latex addin and can give me some
advice on debugging LaTeX?
2. What are your experiences with PDF export and have you found a good way
to do it?

Regards,

Tibor Lapikas

--