[Mediawiki-l] IP address of logged in user

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:44:43 UTC 2008

On 08/04/2008, Ralph Hulslander <rph at rovenet.com> wrote:
> This is really strange, I have another wiki that shows the IP address of
>  unlogged in viewers
>  but it has no $wShowIPinHeader entry in LocalSettings.php.

That's correct, showing them is the default.

>  There is also no entry in the new wiki I am trying to setup.
>
>  Entering $wgShowIPinHeader = true; has no effect, the IP is still not shown.

That's strange. Check no-one's been fiddling with DefaultSettings.php
as Herta suggests. If that doesn't work, check it's not being hidden
by the skin (by a line in [[Mediawiki:Monobook.css]] or something -
I'm not good with skins).

>  This is probable not important, I just do not like 0.0.0.0 appearing and the
>  same is referenced for the confirmation email with new signups.

What happens when anon users edit? Do all the contributions end up on
[[Special:Contributions/0.0.0.0]] rather than under their actual IP
address? If so, it sounds like a much bigger underlying problem with
your server (which someone else will have to help you with - far
beyond my skillset).