[Mediawiki-l] Format issues when extensions installed, leading spaces

Wolesky, Pat pwolesky at ptc.com
Wed Apr 2 19:56:49 UTC 2008

We have tried installing two Mediawiki extensions, FCKEditor
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FCKeditor_%28by_FCKeditor_and_W
ikia%29>  (Wikitext version) and CategorySuggest
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategorySuggest> . In both
cases they caused format loss in pages that used text indenting, and
we've had to remove them from our site since some groups do a lot of
indenting, and they really need to in order for their text, code
snippets, etc. to make sense.

In most cases the indenting is done using leading spaces, which seems to
be the recommended way with Mediawiki. <PRE> tags aren't really
recommended and some formatting can't be done inside them, but they do
seem to maintain the indents better than just leading spaces. We've also
had some people doing indenting using various levels of colons (:), and
those are also being lost.

Have other people run into this, and are there any workarounds? Both of
these extensions would really be a benefit to us if we could overcome
this loss of format issue. I figured when we ran into the problem with
CategorySuggest that maybe it was just a fluke, peculiar to that
extension, but now that it's two of them I'm wondering if this will be a
common problem, and that other extensions we try will also cause format
problems.

Thanks,
Pat