[Mediawiki-l] How to change defaults for preferences for all users?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed Sep 26 15:43:35 UTC 2007

Hello fellow MediaWiki sysops,

Does anyone know where in http://www.MediaWiki.org/ - failing that,
please share your experience here - we can find where and how to change
defaults for user preferences so that subsequent users get the new
defaults?

Is there a way to change defaults for preferences for even all users,
including existing users?  There are endless references to users
changing their own preferences, but how to setup initial preferences?

For instance, in the user preferences under [Search] I want to engage
ALL namespaces.  I see the first is checked: [ x ] (main) ... but a
search for "(main)" in the contents of all files in the mediawiki
directory tree returns nothing!  So where do we look to control these
choices globally?

Thanks!