[Mediawiki-l] Small paying project: new semantic extension to MediaWiki

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:03:14 UTC 2007

I've sort of given up on writing a new semantic MediaWiki extension
myself, and instead would like to hire someone to do this. More info
below. Any takers?

This is guru.com project 333404, but since guru.com requires (free)
registration, I'm reproducting the project details below:

== BEGIN PASTE ==

Subject: MediaWiki extension for semantics + to add data to other pages

I'd like an extension to MediaWiki that lets me do two things:

 % Add text to another page. For example, if I'm editing a page
 "Lucy" and say:

Lucy has a younger brother Linus, who [[Linus!!carries a
"security blanket"]].

the text 'carries a "security blanket"' will be added to a
special section of the Linus page. If the Linus page doesn't
exist, it will be created.

On the Lucy page, it will read:

Lucy has a younger brother Linus, who carries a "security
blanket".

 % Add semantic information to page similar to what
 http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Main_Page does. For example, if I edit
 the Charlie Brown page to say:

Charlie Brown has a sister, [[sister::Sally]].

the RDF/semantic triple relation "Charlie Brown","sister","Sally"
will be stored in a MySQL table and displayed at the bottom of
both the Charlie Brown and Sally pages.

On the Charlie Brown page, this will read:

Charlie Brown has a sister, [[Sally]].

In other words, "Sally" will just be a regular link to the Sally
page.

 % These features should be combinable and nestable. If I edit
 the Charlie Brown page to say:

Charlie Brown has a sister, [[sister::Sally]], who [[Sally!!has a
crush on [[loves::Linus]], who [[Linus!!carries a "security
blanket"]]]]

this would:

  % Create the Sally and Linus pages, if they don't already exist

  % Add the phrase 'carries a "security blanket"' to a special
  part of the Linus page.

  % Add the phrase 'has a crush on [[Linus]], who carries a
  "security blanket"' to a special part of the Sally page.

  % Create/store the semantic triple "Sally","loves","Linus", and
  display it at the bottom of both the Sally and Linus pages.

  % Create/store the semantic triple "Charlie
  Brown","sister","Sally" and store it on both the Charlie Brown
  and Sally pages.

  % On the Charlie Brown page, the text would read:

Charlie Brown has a sister, [[Sally]], who has a crush on
[[Linus]], who carries a "security blanket"

Notes:

 % This is just an overview. More details on request.

 % I've written code to do some of the above. You're not
 obligated to use it, but it might help.

 % The extension should use only open source technology, and
 comply to MediaWiki's extension standard to the extent possible:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_extensions

Please let me know how much this would cost, thank you.

== END PASTE ==